Search

Notices

Skywest captains to $200/hr...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 06:07 AM
Fly me to the Moon

Joined APC: Jul 2017

"We must stick together as professional Aviators! All of our brothers and sisters in this industry deserve better pay!"

Then the regionals give out raises and bonuses-

"Why is this regional scum getting paid so much??!!! THEYRE TAKIN' OUR JERBS!"

Fascinating.

F138-
Old 09-07-2022, 06:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by sailingfun
The rates are designed to allow a orderly death of the regionals. They need to keep the flights moving short term. Long term there are different plans in place. I believe your CEO plans on cutting UAL’s regional fleet by ⅔’s.
Maybe some won’t be able to cover. You do know SkyWest Inc. is a publicly traded company with investors the likes of Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank right? There management has to present these pay scales to their board of directors before approval.

Long term plans are anyone’s guess, but I’m sure there’ll be Regional casualty’s due to unsustainable workforce attrition, not pay rate increases.

Last edited by LAXtoDEN; 09-07-2022 at 06:26 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2018

Originally Posted by LAXtoDEN
Maybe some won’t be able to cover. You do know SkyWest Inc. is a publicly traded company with investors the likes of Goldman Sachs and Deutsche Bank right? There management has to present these pay scales to their board of directors before approval.

Long term plans are anyone’s guess, but I’m sure there’ll be Regional casualty’s due to unsustainable workforce attrition, not pay rate increases.
I never understood the unsustainable pay rates idea they got the money
Old 09-07-2022, 12:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Their rates only went up as much as [throws dart blindfolded, removes blindfold] 10 ft #5 steel rebar at Home Depot.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by Str8 Cash Homie
SkyWest can afford it. Not going into the financials but from my understanding from the earnings calls that I’ve listened to, they can afford to pay a lot more than the withdrawn TA rates, it’s a well run shop, but times have changed and pilots are no longer a surplus, so now all those years of treating their Captains like dog$hit finally caught up.

It’s mostly the same management regime that told their Captains “if you don’t like it, you can leave”.
How long can they afford it?

They can't afford it without dipping into savings for a while. Once the savings are gone, then what?
Old 09-07-2022, 05:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by threeighteen
How long can they afford it?

They can't afford it without dipping into savings for a while. Once the savings are gone, then what?
So I just checked OO’s last quarterly earnings. They made $800 million. If they doubled every pilots salary (I used 5,000 pilots, may be slightly more or less), an estimated guess with some napkin math having each pilot crediting 90 hours a month would result in a 120 million charge. So quarterly revenue would be around 680 million.

Everything is an estimate, but the point is, they’re not pulling a dime out of their 1 billion in savings. Attrition has a significant cost to the operation as well. If the new pay rates reduced attrition you might not see much of a difference in their Q earnings results.

They can afford to pay, stop selling the notion that increased pilot pay is what makes or breaks airlines revenues.

Oh and OO’s contracts can/will be renegotiated with their partners.

Last edited by LAXtoDEN; 09-07-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 05:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2020

.....They can afford to pay, stop selling the notion that increased pilot pay is what makes or breaks airlines revenues....
AMEN!! You should be prepared to shoot this type of tripe out of the sky for the remainder of your career.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

So I just checked OO’s last quarterly earnings. They made $800 million. If they doubled every pilots salary (I used 5,000 pilots, may be slightly more or less), an estimated guess with some napkin math having each pilot crediting 90 hours a month would result in a 120 million charge. So quarterly revenue would be around 680 million.

Everything is an estimate, but the point is, they’re not pulling a dime out of their 1 billion in savings. Attrition has a significant cost to the operation as well. If the new pay rates reduced attrition you might not see much of a difference in their Q earnings results.

They can afford to pay, stop selling the notion that increased pilot pay is what makes or breaks airlines revenues.

$800 million gross, not net.

Operating profit was a meager $54 million, and Q1 was only $25 million. So a $120 million charge would put them pretty far in the hole every quarter.

Pilot Payroll was roughly $40 million a month in pre-covid 2020 if I recall correctly, so your $120 million charge for doubling payroll may not even be big enough to be honest, especially considering the bonuses now, the 300% premiums, etc etc.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2018

Originally Posted by Bat Guano
AMEN!! You should be prepared to shoot this type of tripe out of the sky for the remainder of your career.
But before you do make sure you understand the difference between revenue and profit.
Old 09-09-2022, 05:26 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2019

Lol! That’s not how it works…and you do not know what you are talking about. Stick to flying and pushing buttons baboon.