Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

135 rest requirements LOI

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2014
Position: BE400 PIC

Originally Posted by rmcbear08
I'm sure they'll find something else to hang you on, and they'll try to pretend it had absolutely nothing to do with you "rocking the boat" in regards to their rest rules (or lack thereof).
In that case, start here:

Finally, there is an FAA Safety Hotline where you can provide information, and you may request that your identity remain confidential. The Hotline's telephone number is (202) 267- 3934 and email address is [email protected].

Get yourself an email address like companyRESTRULES@gmail/hotmail/yahoo and articulately describe the scenario

I would Cc: my DO, CP, POI & CEO so they can start their knee-jerk responses early
Old 01-30-2016, 05:29 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2016
Default South Florida 135 = Run Away

South Florida 135 operators are one of the most often in violation of 135.267

POIs do not pursue operators to bring them to compliance with 135.267

Crews "resting" in between trip assignments are actually "on call" yet they themselves are their own worst enemies not telling their respective operators NO - Cannot accept this flight assignment as it violates the Rest Requirements / Rules.

Until enough Pilots say NO and until the Local / Regional level of FAA brings operators into compliance with continuous free from all restraints Prospective Rest (Known in Advance) this issue will linger on like Cancer that refuses to go away..
Old 01-30-2016, 08:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014

Originally Posted by auflyer06
In all honesty, it comes down to are you willing to walk away from your job because of it. Not to toot my own horn, but I walked into unemployment over it (at least for a bit).

The problem with Part 135 is often times it is a first "real" job for people. All they know is either flight instructing or 91 stuff and have never bothered to look at or be taught 135 rules and regs. I know I wasn't aware of all this stuff when I first started. My first day of indoc that this came up, the now all too familiar "grey area" conversation comes up. Of course no mention of LOIs. I learned the hard way by figuring out first that this lifestyle sucked (on call 24/7) and that leading to wondering why it was allowed to be so. Come to find out it isn't and hasn't been for quite some time (many LOIs).

This is often the first question I have in interviews when it's my turn for questions. How do you determine and record rest?

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to get the word out on this, but it must start at the student level. Flight instructors need to know this and at the very least inform students that LOIs exist about many things, not just 135 rest rules.
You are spot on, man. And these guys continue to operate that way until they become management. We need to be teaching guys from lesson 1 not to be D-bags