Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Boutique Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:05 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by chrisbnsvs
1) For BTQ hiring, several have said they like to hire folks with CFI - is it for the rating, or are they looking for a certain amount of dual instruction given? Would someone with a wet CFI be competitive to apply?

2) One knock on flying PC12s is that it's single engine, so you don't build multi time. A couple of graybeard, old time pilots have advised me that I might be better off instructing until meeting rATP/ATP minimums and then going to a regional. I'm skeptical, since looking at hiring mins for majors shows they're also interested in total turbine time and turbine PIC time, not just multi time - something I'd think you'd build more of sooner at a place like BTQ than doing pattern work in the right seat as a CFI. Thoughts?

3) I understand commuting isn't a good option for BTQ, but how close is considered local? For example, could a DEN based pilot live in C Springs?
1) People with CFI experience tend to do better through training. Same with the 500-600 TT mark. It would be a bonus if you're a good instructor, stuck around to upgrade, and went into the training department at BTQ, but that's not really the main reason.

2) Turbine PIC isn't everything - there are a few instances of guys going right seat from regionals to right seat at majors, though it's not typical. Those guys have generally done something above and beyond to help other pilots and/or represent aviation. Same deal with guys going from turboprops that skip the regionals - they usually have a boatload of time, have done something else special, and know somebody on top of that.

In terms of regionals, they don't really give a flip where your 1500 TT (or less if applicable) came from anymore. Instruct, fly at BTQ, whatever. Both are good experience, and having done both now, I feel pretty well prepared for wherever I end up in the future. If you're planning on a regional at some point, best plan is to do whatever gets you your ATP mins ASAP - everyone says that, but I wish I would have done a little more of it and a little less of the extra stuff now that it's two years after first getting my CPL now.

3) Colorado Springs would be quite the commute, and combined with the typical DEN schedule you'd probably want to hang yourself. You could crash at the crew house now and then if needed, but you'd likely be wishing you were just in Denver after about a month of that. Schedules aren't very commute-friendly.
Old 12-07-2016, 03:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

^^^

1) For BTQ hiring, several have said they like to hire folks with CFI - is it for the rating, or are they looking for a certain amount of dual instruction given? Would someone with a wet CFI be competitive to apply?

They want experience other than flight training.

2) One knock on flying PC12s is that it's single engine, so you don't build multi time. A couple of graybeard, old time pilots have advised me that I might be better off instructing until meeting rATP/ATP minimums and then going to a regional. I'm skeptical, since looking at hiring mins for majors shows they're also interested in total turbine time and turbine PIC time, not just multi time - something I'd think you'd build more of sooner at a place like BTQ than doing pattern work in the right seat as a CFI. Thoughts?

If you're trying to go 121 ASAP you might be better instructing. Time counts as turbine flight time for companies like United. Not sure what Delta or American want.

3) I understand commuting isn't a good option for BTQ, but how close is considered local? For example, could a DEN based pilot live in C Springs?

Yes, guys live in Colorado Springs and have no issues.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Don't get weekends off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Anyone know how to jumpseat on BTQ? Is it possible yet?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by 42ER
Anyone know how to jumpseat on BTQ? Is it possible yet?
Just call our reservations number and they will list you.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:25 PM
Don't get weekends off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by Flyin J
Just call our reservations number and they will list you.
Thank you, sir!
Old 12-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by hawk21
You can now make more first year at some regionals than captains at BTQ, have retirement and legitimate travel benefits, per diem, the list goes on. A lot of people are bailing for 121. Myself included.

If they get the charter side of things up and running I think it would be worth sticking around if you hold a good schedule but that EAS stuff gets old really fast.
KA Captain pay just raised to 70k a year. So that's cool. I don't blame people one bit for leaving to 121 though, but you have to decide which world is ripe for you. Chartering would open up a new can of worms dispatch wise, but would add a lot of stability. Sooooo choose your poison
Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Yep. Also just got MyIDTravel and added American, Virgin, Spirit and Mesa to our jumpseat options. Word is they're working on KCM.

I still like the company - I was thinking I'd upgrade when it was time, but now I'm on the fence about it. Not because I dislike it here, but because of where everything tops out. I could just stick it out a few more months as an FO instead and be on my way in the 121 world sooner without the upgrade. Seems to make more sense if I'm planning on going 121 in the end, anyway.

Still a while before that decision comes up, so we'll see what else changes in the next year.
Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Missed a call this afternoon, stating that we had an interview at that time. Said I could respond back by the email I got earlier to reschedule, I never received an email. This was the first I heard from anyone since the automated thank you email I got when I first applied. Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:28 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2016

It is almost three months now since Boutique Air through email offered me a PC-12 SIC position but told me to wait for a training date. I suppose this is their version of a "hiring pool" but I also suspect they simply forgot about me. The anecdotes mentioned here certainly don't inspire confidence in their HR department.

Another EAS provider has expressed some interest in my credentials but they don't pay as much. I hope I don't end up in a situation where I accept an offer from them out of desperation then Boutique Air suddenly remembers me.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by pancreas
It is almost three months now since Boutique Air through email offered me a PC-12 SIC position but told me to wait for a training date. I suppose this is their version of a "hiring pool" but I also suspect they simply forgot about me. The anecdotes mentioned here certainly don't inspire confidence in their HR department.

Another EAS provider has expressed some interest in my credentials but they don't pay as much. I hope I don't end up in a situation where I accept an offer from them out of desperation then Boutique Air suddenly remembers me.
Same thing happened to to me. Received two offers I was debating for literally a day, then BTQ called and offered the next day. To answer your question though, yes this is their version of a hiring pool.