Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Starting a new business

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 02:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: 737 Right

I would be interested to learn more details about the specific business plan and/or motive for starting a charter operation. What type of customers/flying are you planning to do?

As mentioned above, a lot of new aviation businesses find acquiring an existing operation a convenient option because you get a client base and operating certificate right off the bat.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:38 PM
Sitting on the sidelines

Joined APC: Aug 2007

I started my own 135 with two piston twins about 10 years ago (a Basic 135 certificate). I quickly learned that it was impossible to make a decent living because the planes were financed, I didn't own the fuel farm, and I didn't own the maintenance. I would not try again unless I had an FBO where I could fuel up wholesale, have first priority with the maintenance guy - and make money from him when he isn't working on my planes. I would also look for a leaseback airplane - something you can manage and provide pilot services for the owner, and charter when he isn't using it. You have to keep initial costs down, or it will not work.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:53 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

A guy I fly 135 got the green light June of 13' with a turbo C310. The plane flew 400hrs first year, and really needs a 2nd to supplement when it's down or on trips as he turned down a lot of trips due to those conflicts.

It can be done, but for that budget and type of aircraft, I think you are underestimating time and expense just to get approved. My friend had a head start, bought the certificate and the plane together, and it still took over 2 years to get the green light
Old 10-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

As the old saying goes, the quickest way to make a million in aviation, is to start with two, because you going to lose one. you only have one, so you are already in the red.

Start small, get yourself a 402 do some short hops, don't try to reach too far in one shot.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Thanks so far for the positive replies and advice. I'll be the first to admit that I'm not as familiar to the industry as some, that's why I'm posting on here for advice,, and so far I've gotten some excellent responses. I do realize in aviation it takes a 2 million to make a 1 million, I'm sure we've all heard that one before. I am in the early, early , early stages of this. Just tossing the idea around. I have talked to the local FSDO on several occasions, and got some great advice there as well. Can anyone elaborate on buying an established Part 135 operation that Panzon and Waflyby mentioned? I was unaware you could do such.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

You have received some good advice. Not to rain on your parade or anything... However I think some bigger, underlying, questions should be addressed first, dig deep if necessary. What are your motives and expectations? Additionally, Would this be to provide a needed and vital, even just beneficial service or are you just attempting to find a way to finance a hobby and make a little money at it. In either case, the road to hell and financial ruin is paved with good intentions. These days business is especially tough. You will definitely need to find a solid niche, contracts, Etc. I wouldn't count on just doing it better than the other guy, Etc. You will also need connections, expertise, lots of money and luck; don't forget luck...