Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Spicoli
Hey bro, I am an EX Island rampi, and I am out of HS. Being around both operations and seeing them operate from the ramp gives me insight to both companies. You probably did not have the same insight from the cockpit.
Lol i knew you were a rampy. At least ya made it outta highschool bro. Btw they all suck. Peace
Old 05-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Bozo the pilot
Lol i knew you were a rampy. At least ya made it outta highschool bro. Btw they all suck. Peace
That's all u need to make it as a pilot, HS education. What is wrong with being a rampy? I shoot a pretty sweet ILS approach according to my instructor.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:27 PM
Gear Slinger

Joined APC: Aug 2012
Position: CRJ FO
Thumbs up

Hey guys, I'm jumping in here. I've been trying to read up on all the Cape Air forum info and get up to date as possible. I have an app. completed but haven't hit the submit button yet.

Everything I read seems like Cape Air is a great company to work for, challenging, hard work, but great people and a great experience.

I haven't seen anything for a few months on hiring really, the website says they are hiring FOs. Seems hard to get in without an internal recommendation, how true is that for you all?

I'm at 1000TT/72ME CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP Written.

For those of you that have been there for the past 2-3 years as new hires, looking back are you glad you went? Also, what jobs are you looking at for the near future? And if you don't mind sharing your pay as an FO, about how much did you make a month? I'm bringing home about $2k/month instructing right now but can certainly live on less. I have a frugal and supportive wife. Most posts about $ on here are more annual pay figures and I'm not sure how long it will take to upgrade since it would depend on how busy your base is.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Cape air is a good place to get going. Fo pay sucks but your really a capt in training. At 1200 tt you can get pic qualled and fly the mail or repo flights. PM me if you want the full scoop. As a company, theyre pretty good guys but they have a union now so who knows how thats changed things. Good luck bro
Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

The only thing that really matters is how you look when you fly. Would you rather fly a plane with a super sweet magenta tail, or some crappy blue tail? Obviously the magenta tail is #1, unfortunately they are a smaller pilot group so some people will not have the option to fly for them and will be forced to choose blue tail. This is probably what happened to Bozo.
Lol, what a troll, but at least he's entertaining. Island's C402's aren't any newer than Cape's, so you don't make any sense. Unless you are talking about the Caravan. But they have, what, one? If the chance at single engine turbine time makes you feel cool, then go for it.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

That's all u need to make it as a pilot, HS education.
Let me know how that brilliant plan works out...
Old 05-29-2013, 04:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike
I have an app. completed but haven't hit the submit button yet.

For those of you that have been there for the past 2-3 years as new hires, looking back are you glad you went?

Also, what jobs are you looking at for the near future?
Why wait. Hit the submit button! Things don't happen fast in HR, so you'll have plenty of time to figure things out while you wait.

I've been here three years. Extremely glad I came here. I previously worked at Piedmont, and am one of many pilots escaping from the regional world to Cape Air. This job is like a vacation compared to a regional airline!

I'm prob not the norm as far as flight time goes at Cape Air (5000 TT, 2500 PIC, 2000 Turbine), but I'm most likely going to hold out for United, Delta, or US Airways. A lot of people go from here to a regional, or to another part 135 like TMC. Depends on whether you want the corporate or airline route.

To sum up, if they paid a little more (and had cheaper health insurance), I'd never leave. However, my goal is to support my family on a single income, and it just isn't possible here (at least for me) until you've put 10+ years in.

As a company, theyre pretty good guys but they have a union now so who knows how thats changed things. Good luck bro
The only real big downside was the change to Caribbean compensation. They were getting a lot of pay over-rides and overtime pay, but that went away. They "froze" the pay of the guys that were down there at the signing of the contract until the contractual raises catch up with what they make now. Other than that, having the union is good, despite the fact that very few people seem to appreciate it. The contract gives you certainty and brought about a lot of improvements to quality of life. (You should have seen how they used to bid) I was afraid the union would spoil the relationship between the pilots and management, but aside from a couple of bad apples, it really hasn't. It has become more formal of course, but compared to what I've seen in the regional world, the relationship is fantastic.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Hey rocketman- dont waste yur time on island boy. Got the IQ of sean penn.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by rocketman3746
Lol, what a troll, but at least he's entertaining. Island's C402's aren't any newer than Cape's, so you don't make any sense. Unless you are talking about the Caravan. But they have, what, one? If the chance at single engine turbine time makes you feel cool, then go for it.
This is not trolling, it is cold hard facts.

Also most of the Island 402s have the boots removed so they are faster than the Cape 402s. Yet another reason to go Island.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:32 PM
Line Holder

Hey rocketman- dont waste yur time on island boy. Got the IQ of sean penn.
IQ of sean penn or jeff spicoli?