Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by rocketman3746
Ugh, I'm glad they gave up on those. Can you imagine doing RUT or SLK with just that?
No need to image unfortunately.. Got real fun when water got in between the panes and you got the lava lamp effect..
Old 01-17-2013, 07:05 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by FlyingChipmunk
No need to image unfortunately.. Got real fun when water got in between the panes and you got the lava lamp effect..
Memories!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Do any of you 9k guys have info on crashpads in SJU
Old 03-03-2013, 11:31 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Cessna Caravan

I know that Cape Air has a pretty unique way of scheduling, so I have a few questions. How do pilots bid on trips? What is the length of most trips (how many days)? How much flexibility do you have in your scheduling (i.e. how hard is it to drop trips on days you don't want to fly and pick up trips on your days off)? How long does one generally stay on reserve? How is the schedule for a typical reserve guy (again how easy or hard is it to drop/pick up reserve days)? Any commuters out there: is the way Cape Air structures their trips conducive to good QOL if you commute?

Thanks!
Old 03-03-2013, 03:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B6 CA

Originally Posted by JaxUAviator
I know that Cape Air has a pretty unique way of scheduling, so I have a few questions. How do pilots bid on trips? What is the length of most trips (how many days)? How much flexibility do you have in your scheduling (i.e. how hard is it to drop trips on days you don't want to fly and pick up trips on your days off)? How long does one generally stay on reserve? How is the schedule for a typical reserve guy (again how easy or hard is it to drop/pick up reserve days)? Any commuters out there: is the way Cape Air structures their trips conducive to good QOL if you commute?

Thanks!
Cape is a different lifestyle compared to other regionals; we don't have typical month-to-month bidding for trips. First you will bid base, typically there are two base bids a year, with various vacancies in between depending on the amount of shuffling around that goes on (attrition, flight schedule changes ,etc) but bottom line you bid where you want to be. After you're in base you will then bid for your schedule. This is the schedule you will have for as long as you're in base, unless in-base seniority changes and you can try something else but because it is mostly outstation basing you'll be flying basically the same routes every day and you'll be home (in base) every night.

The exception to this is in the hubs (ie HYA, BOS, STL, SJU etc) where there are a number of 'backup' lines available. It's sort of Cape Air's version of reserve. You'll have a monthly schedule, (that can be changed to certain degrees), but in general you'll find out your assignment for the day the night before. Some standing by and some covering sick calls etc, and also some TDY assignments to cover vacationing/sick pilots in the outstations. That's just a quick and dirty explanation of that.

Dropping and picking up days is available; dropping just depends on if there is coverage available to cover your day, or if someone else decides to pick up the flying you are trying to drop. And if someone else is trying to drop a day it may be available to you to pick up if you choose to do so. Again just a quick explanation.

Commuting is not recommended, and can be quite difficult if you choose to do so, and if you do end up in an outstation (which being junior you most likely will) you're looking at a least a two-leg commute as it is, with one being on the 9-seat 402 which may or may not fill up quick. Hope this sheds some light on life at 9k!
Old 03-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

Do you folks ever hire dedicated "floaters" (pilots who have no base, rather they are always covering sicks or vacations)?
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B6 CA

Not that I know of, but the backup folks can keep pretty busy with tdy assignments but everyone ultimately has a base.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Yeah if you bid an SVT (sick/vacation/tdy coverage) line in a hub like BOS, and let the crew schedulers know that you love TDY, they can keep you busy. I think one of the BOS TDY guys this month has something like a week in SLK, then a week in OGS, then a week in RUT. All those hotel points and per diem checks start to add up! And for what its worth, the SVT lines are almost always junior, so if you want it, you can pretty much have it year round.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: FO

I think Island Airlines is better than Cape....
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Is BM still the owner?