Joined APC: Feb 2007

What's the TDY lifestyle like?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Originally Posted by TallFlyer
What's the TDY lifestyle like?
I prefer it in the winter. Day1. Paid to commute to wherever you are going to be flying for the week. Work for a few days, 3-4 probably depending on the line you are covering. Paid commute home the last day or day after if the line ends late.

Its nice to only have to drive to/from work once per week (saves on gas $$$). Plus you get per diem of $35 a day(not much but it helps).

Its a good way to get overtime and explore some flying outside your home region.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by KAT3
Anyone out there heard anything on new class dates?! I talked to someone on the inside who just finish just finished class and was hired fairly recently. I was not sure if they stopped pulling from the f/o pilot pool?

Thanks
Had a friend interview just yesterday. They told him 4 classes from January to March. Heard through the grapevine that the first 2 are Captains only. They had quite a few FOs in the last class, and I think a bunch of the people in the current class are not quite at Captain mins and will be flying as FOs until they get their time.

Depending on how many FOs upgrade in the next few months, I imagine they'll need some more. Seems like the current FO pool will be able to handle the needs in the MidWest.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by vtbvtdk
Had a friend interview just yesterday. They told him 4 classes from January to March. Heard through the grapevine that the first 2 are Captains only. They had quite a few FOs in the last class, and I think a bunch of the people in the current class are not quite at Captain mins and will be flying as FOs until they get their time.

Depending on how many FOs upgrade in the next few months, I imagine they'll need some more. Seems like the current FO pool will be able to handle the needs in the MidWest.

Just curious was your friend interviewing for a CA or FO position? I'm thinking of reapplying to Cape Air as a CA. I have all the ATP req'ts with previous 121 and 135 exp. The one snafu is low multi only ~135hrs.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: 9K CA

Originally Posted by fjetter
Just curious was your friend interviewing for a CA or FO position? I'm thinking of reapplying to Cape Air as a CA. I have all the ATP req'ts with previous 121 and 135 exp. The one snafu is low multi only ~135hrs.
He was interviewing for a CA position. You should definitely apply. ATP mins with prior airline experience is great. The low multi shouldn't be a big deal, there were a few in my class with <30 hours.

One of the big things they actually look for is a college degree. They don't care what the degree is, but they have found that there is a huge difference in the training success of college grads vs. non college grads.

PM me if you have some more questions.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by FlyingChipmunk
I prefer it in the winter. Day1. Paid to commute to wherever you are going to be flying for the week. Work for a few days, 3-4 probably depending on the line you are covering. Paid commute home the last day or day after if the line ends late.

Its nice to only have to drive to/from work once per week (saves on gas $$$). Plus you get per diem of $35 a day(not much but it helps).

Its a good way to get overtime and explore some flying outside your home region.
I'm assuming they're putting you up in a hotel?

Talked to Gene yesterday; I'll be interviewing on the 16th. Times are 2400/40 + ATP if anyone is curious.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by vtbvtdk
He was interviewing for a CA position. You should definitely apply. ATP mins with prior airline experience is great. The low multi shouldn't be a big deal, there were a few in my class with <30 hours.

One of the big things they actually look for is a college degree. They don't care what the degree is, but they have found that there is a huge difference in the training success of college grads vs. non college grads.

PM me if you have some more questions.

Yea I have the 4yr degree and ATP written completed too. My 121 experience was brief as I got furloughed about two weeks after IOE and am looking at a loooong time before I get called back.

Where are a lot of the 9K guys that are leaving going to? Regionals? LCC? Supplemental 121?

I would like to go to 9K largely for the ME PIC but my personal goals are the airlines and this may put me back a year on regional seniority lists if I can get hired again now.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by fjetter
Where are a lot of the 9K guys that are leaving going to? Regionals? LCC? Supplemental 121?
To answer your question: Yes.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: forever fo

two stupid questions, is cape 121 or 135? If they fly a sced wouldnt that make them 121.

second, is there a training contract for FOs and where are the FOs based.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Originally Posted by rickt86
two stupid questions, is cape 121 or 135? If they fly a sced wouldnt that make them 121.

second, is there a training contract for FOs and where are the FOs based.
Our main operation is scheduled 135. The ATR Guam operation is 121.

Training contract for FOs specifies that after you get your ATP, you'll promise 1 year. FOs are based mainly at the St. Louis outstations (UIN, MWA, IRK, TBN, and CGI), where we're required. There are a few others scattered around (3 currently in BOS, 3 in HYA, 1 LEB, 1 LNS).