Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: B747 Left

Originally Posted by Way2Broke
747 and 757/67 type jobs.
Don't worry, robthree still wins. Somehow a 767-300ER weighs half what a 747 classic weighs. How does that thing even fly?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by NightIP
Don't worry, robthree still wins. Somehow a 767-300ER weighs half what a 747 classic weighs. How does that thing even fly?
Money. Lots.

-mini
Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Right Seat, PIC

I know this isn't really on topic for where this thread is now, but just curious as to where guys go on to from Cape. If I started with around 500 hundred multi and ATP mins, worked for 2-3 years, what kind of jobs could I be looking at? Also considering no turbine time in the logbook as well.

I'm trying to take aim at my next "step" in this career and, like everyone else, trying to reduce the total number of "steps" to end up where I want to be (which is a fractional, with most interest in Avantair at the moment.)

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by VAviator
I know this isn't really on topic for where this thread is now, but just curious as to where guys go on to from Cape. If I started with around 500 hundred multi and ATP mins, worked for 2-3 years, what kind of jobs could I be looking at? Also considering no turbine time in the logbook as well.

I'm trying to take aim at my next "step" in this career and, like everyone else, trying to reduce the total number of "steps" to end up where I want to be (which is a fractional, with most interest in Avantair at the moment.)

Thanks!
Just about everywhere, to be honest.

We've had at least one pilot interview at JetBlue recently. We've had a number of pilots go to fractional, corporate, and charter gigs. Many to regional airlines. I'm off to a heavy-jet ACMI carrier, and robthree is as well. Heck, I think there may have been a Cape Air ATR pilot go off to Continental some time back.

Take your pick. This is good flight time that will get you places. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise just because it doesn't burn Jet A.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: yes

Just about everywhere, to be honest.

We've had at least one pilot interview at JetBlue recently. We've had a number of pilots go to fractional, corporate, and charter gigs. Many to regional airlines. I'm off to a heavy-jet ACMI carrier, and robthree is as well. Heck, I think there may have been a Cape Air ATR pilot go off to Continental some time back.

Take your pick. This is good flight time that will get you places. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise just because it doesn't burn Jet A.
Granted, you do have some turbine time. We'll see how it goes for me a couple years down the road with truly no turbine time.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by 9kBud
Granted, you do have some turbine time. We'll see how it goes for me a couple years down the road with truly no turbine time.
That's true, and is the case for many of the people moving on from Cape Air at the moment. That said, fractional/charter/corporate gigs should be well within a 9K pilot's grasp, even without previous turbine experience. The multi PIC is great for checking boxes for insurance.

And if you really want the turbine time, there's always the ATR...
Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757/767

MOD NOTE: I'm sure most know this, but it just came to my attention that the payscale in our Cape Air section was inadvertantly replaced with the payscale for Avantair. I've brought it to the attention of the site owners.

Just don't want people to be misinformed.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

That's true, and is the case for many of the people moving on from Cape Air at the moment. That said, fractional/charter/corporate gigs should be well within a 9K pilot's grasp, even without previous turbine experience. The multi PIC is great for checking boxes for insurance.

And if you really want the turbine time, there's always the ATR...
Now I feel like I'm doing it backwards after reading all this, lol. I did a few years at a regional, now I'm looking to go to Cape Air for a while, give my PIC column in my logbook a little boost. Guess we'll see how it all works out during the next major hiring wave, whenever it happens...

ps - any more class date rumors? I'm pretty sure I'm five or less from the top, so hoping something happens soon. It's been almost a year in the pool now...
Old 08-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Tuk er jerbs!

Originally Posted by rocketman3746
Now I feel like I'm doing it backwards after reading all this, lol. I did a few years at a regional, now I'm looking to go to Cape Air for a while, give my PIC column in my logbook a little boost. Guess we'll see how it all works out during the next major hiring wave, whenever it happens...
Most of us have done the same...you're not unusual at Cape Air.

Originally Posted by rocketman3746
ps - any more class date rumors? I'm pretty sure I'm five or less from the top, so hoping something happens soon. It's been almost a year in the pool now...
Honestly (and I really have no idea what they're actually planning), I don't see how Cape Air is going to staff the company for much longer. Going to be lots of movement coming up.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007

September CA class (earlier due to attrition), October 11th FO class (pushed later due to earlier CA class req'd)