Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 05:32 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2021

Originally Posted by CaseTractor
in a nutshell, what are the growing pains? Also, in comparison on a similar route, how does the new plane compare to the Cessna capability wise? Do you all like the new one better because it is new, or other reasons. I guess multi engine jumps out, but other than that I’m not very familiar with the new one.
The plane does great for what it was designed for (Nantucket-Boston). Outside of that it becomes a challenge. Airplane needs more fuel but has the same payload as the 402. Hence, on long EAS routes (where the plane has been implemented to win new contracts) it struggles. Quincy-Chicago for example you can and will not get more than 6 people on that airplane with IFR fuel. The company is struggling to train it's captains who are now in a Tecnam base because of how short-staffed the company is.

It is a great plane for what it was designed to do (short-hops) and pax love it. Like with any new design a lot of growing pains and it will be great but I think it will be 5+ years before the 402's are gone. The payload is the issue on these long EAS flights. Often we are bumping a bag or person and TKS fluid also weighs a lot.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:42 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Position: EMB-505 PIC
Default Doggone shame that weight issue.

Originally Posted by Mandalorian
The plane does great for what it was designed for (Nantucket-Boston). Outside of that it becomes a challenge. Airplane needs more fuel but has the same payload as the 402. Hence, on long EAS routes (where the plane has been implemented to win new contracts) it struggles. Quincy-Chicago for example you can and will not get more than 6 people on that airplane with IFR fuel. The company is struggling to train it's captains who are now in a Tecnam base because of how short-staffed the company is.

It is a great plane for what it was designed to do (short-hops) and pax love it. Like with any new design a lot of growing pains and it will be great but I think it will be 5+ years before the 402's are gone. The payload is the issue on these long EAS flights. Often we are bumping a bag or person and TKS fluid also weighs a lot.
Doggone shame for that lost revenue.
Old 12-19-2021, 08:45 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2021
Position: EMB-505 PIC
Default Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mandalorian
For what you are looking for at Cape being hired part-time is the ONLY thing you would want to do. They are hiring part-time in SJU currently. If you get hired as a full-time pilot and they "promise" you something in the Carribean nothing is guaranteed. In fact if they can't get coverage at one of their EAS bases then guess where you will go? PT would work for your position but no healthcare is offered but there is plenty of OT to pick-up if you could get SJU. It's an okay place to be but with the way they are losing pilots so quickly it'll be interesting how Cape can find qualified Captains.
Yes, I understand what you are saying completely. It appears that part time out of KSJU is all that would work for me at my age. I really appreciate your council sir!
Old 12-25-2021, 09:37 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Is cape air leaving St Louis? I was thinking about applying bc I’m local and qualify for direct entry. Is it possible to be a St Louis based captain as a new hire? Have they fixed the Tecnams yet?
Old 12-26-2021, 03:58 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by KaraokeMan
Is cape air leaving St Louis? I was thinking about applying bc I’m local and qualify for direct entry. Is it possible to be a St Louis based captain as a new hire? Have they fixed the Tecnams yet?
You will not be able to hold STL as a new Captain. In fact it appears the STL base is shrinking.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:41 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Default Cape Air STL

Any more info about Capr Air in STL?
Old 12-28-2021, 09:24 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2021

How hard is it to get HYA as an FO and is the part-time program in effect? If so, how does it work?
Old 12-28-2021, 05:23 PM
EJET Driver

Joined APC: Apr 2020

Originally Posted by Polyester
How hard is it to get HYA as an FO and is the part-time program in effect? If so, how does it work?
I wouldn’t ever want HYA as an FO very little flight time because it’s non EAS and most lines end up going to ACK or MVY via Boston. Easily the top locations to be bumped as an FO. Also never seen a PT FO in my time at the company.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:57 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Default mgmt or chief pilot

I was wondering if someone in MGMT from cape air could PM me. I have some questions I would like to ask.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:21 PM
On Reserve

Cape Air management does not monitor this forum. If you need to talk to them send em an email.