Search

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 08:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Sorry if this has been asked, but is commuting a possibility?
Old 01-01-2021, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by dapuckstopper15
Just reading through the thread. This guy sees the future.

Wow. You’re right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2021, 09:06 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2019
Default Wondering about FO bases, QOL, Upgrade times.

Hey guys. Been stalking the thread. I just moved to Boston. I have about 1300tt and 400hr in a C-421. I guess I'm wondering what commuting would be like to stl, and how long would it take before I could get to logan? I live literally 6 minutes from logan.

Im okay with being FO for a while, and learning NE flying, busy airspace, 135, etc.. But I don't want to be an FO for too long, especially in a plane less complicated than the one I flew for the last two years.

I guess I'm just looking for some insights. I don't want to apply and not enjoy QOL and quit the day i find something "better." (I hope I'm not sounding too prissy, just stressed)
Old 01-05-2021, 10:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by LBApilot
Hey guys. Been stalking the thread. I just moved to Boston. I have about 1300tt and 400hr in a C-421. I guess I'm wondering what commuting would be like to stl, and how long would it take before I could get to logan? I live literally 6 minutes from logan.

Im okay with being FO for a while, and learning NE flying, busy airspace, 135, etc.. But I don't want to be an FO for too long, especially in a plane less complicated than the one I flew for the last two years.

I guess I'm just looking for some insights. I don't want to apply and not enjoy QOL and quit the day i find something "better." (I hope I'm not sounding too prissy, just stressed)

I’m sorry but I can’t answer commuting question or basing question but I don’t think it would hurt to apply. This is something you may be able to ask while you’re interviewing perhaps. Also, everyone has their needs and I believe that no matter what that is, it is warranted. I believe as soon as you hit ATP mins, they’ll upgrade you from what I’ve been told by several people because I was wondering the same thing. Especially in this market though, go apply!

Old 01-06-2021, 04:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

I’d imagine pilots are being hired with a contractual commitment, so quitting the day you find something better shouldn’t be the plan...

You go to cape either because you live right in a base and want to make a career of it, or to build excellent experience and time build quickly. Like 1000 hours a year.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:37 AM
New Hire

[QUOTE=BravoTango;3178328]I’d imagine pilots are being hired with a contractual commitment, so quitting the day you find something better shouldn’t be the plan...

You go to cape either because you live right in a base and want to make a career of it, or to build excellent experience and time build quickly. Like 1000 hours a year.

Yes I agree. I was more or less asking about QOL because its not my intention to quit. I dont not think id enjoy having to commute from BOS to STL for an extended period of time, but I'm willing to pay my dues.

I only meant 'better' in the sense of me being miserable after a year of commuting. I made this post because I don't want to waste anyones time, companies or mine.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: E175 First Officer

Hi LBA,
Former 9k pilot here who just left, but commuted for almost 3 years while at Cape Air. This is how is works: If you have 1300TT, you would be probably top of the list for a new hire for Cape Air as they are looking for higher time guys that can upgrade quickly. You don’t have a choice as to when you upgrade. As soon as you have 1500TT you are going to ATP-CTP and taking your ATP check ride. Now comes where you are based. It all depends on what is available when you upgrade. You get to bid from the list of open spots. I live in Idaho and commuted to Puerto Rico and Billings for almost 3 years. Wasn’t great but I made it work. All new pilots sign a 1 year to 18 month contract and that contract time starts the day you take your ATP check ride. Not sure what they are offering right now with the pandemic. Boston has always been senior base but spots do open up. You can always take one of the surrounding bases and just take a 9k flight over to your base the day of and start work; ie hyannis, P-town, etc. and then fly home after your shift. I didn’t commute every day, I just did my 4 on 4 off shift. I really enjoyed my time at Cape Air, the only stressful part for me was the commute, but I survived and never missed a day of work because of it. There are plenty of options basing wise especially if you live on the east coast. PM me if you need any help, advice, or more questions. Happy to help.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:16 PM
New Hire

PM me if you need any help, advice, or more questions. Happy to help.[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much! This was exactly what I wanted to know. I might take you up on the offer, i really appreciate the insight.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2020

I've got an interview set up, currently have 1050 TT 500 Dual Given 100 Actual Instrument 75 Night and 20 Multi (this is probably the weakness of my hours), CFI/CFII, am I competitive? Also, if I were to get the job is it a bad idea to take it given the 15 month commitment if my end game goal is to be an airline pilot? Looking to hear some opinions/advice. Thanks guys!
Old 01-13-2021, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by flyguy0246
I've got an interview set up for next week, currently have 1050 TT 500 Dual Given 100 Actual Instrument 75 Night and 20 Multi (this is probably the weakness of my hours), CFI/CFII, am I competitive? Also, if I were to get the job is it a bad idea to take it given the 15 month commitment if my end game goal is to be an airline pilot? Looking to hear some opinions/advice. Thanks guys!

I don’t think 15 months after you get your ATP is too bad considering the current climate. Not many companies are paying for ATP’s at the moment. “Not many” does not mean there aren’t other paid ATP choices are out there but why pay for an ATP when you can hire a guy with thousands of hours that already has one. After the commitment is over, hopefully the industry is in a much better place and guys like you and I will be competitive. Also Cape Air has a pretty good reputation throughout the industry.