Search

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Could an FO please PM me about the good, the bad and the ugly of being an FO at Cape? Thanks!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Can anyone clarify how the commitment contract works? Their website states "As a new hire pilot you are asked to sign a training commitment letter, committing to employment at Cape Air for 6-18 months depending upon your qualifications when hired." But now I'm confused as some are saying this is only post captain upgrade or post ATP. I would be interested in going in as an FO but probably not if I have to stay for 18 months. And what is the penalty for violating this contract?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Lambent
Can anyone clarify how the commitment contract works? Their website states "As a new hire pilot you are asked to sign a training commitment letter, committing to employment at Cape Air for 6-18 months depending upon your qualifications when hired." But now I'm confused as some are saying this is only post captain upgrade or post ATP. I would be interested in going in as an FO but probably not if I have to stay for 18 months. And what is the penalty for violating this contract?

Do not come here if you don’t have the integrity to keep your commitment, regardless of the “cost” of buying out of it.

The commitment clock starts ticking from the company successfully upgrading you to Captain with your in house ATP checkride. The more time building you need on the company’s dime before that event, the longer the commitment on the other side. Come in with 500 hours, you have to stay longer...

And completely aside from your commitment there are very good career reasons to spend some time getting 1000 multi 135 commuter PIC at cape. Or the spirit flow, etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2018, 02:20 PM
New Hire

Originally Posted by BravoTango
Do not come here if you don’t have the integrity to keep your commitment, regardless of the “cost” of buying out of it.

The commitment clock starts ticking from the company successfully upgrading you to Captain with your in house ATP checkride. The more time building you need on the company’s dime before that event, the longer the commitment on the other side. Come in with 500 hours, you have to stay longer...

And completely aside from your commitment there are very good career reasons to spend some time getting 1000 multi 135 commuter PIC at cape. Or the spirit flow, etc etc.

Thanks for the quick reply. If I sign a letter of commitment then I have absolutely no intentions of breaking that commitment. I just want to know what I am getting myself into. I am also very aware that life can be messy sometimes and people can be forced to break promises. It pays to know what the consequences could be.

Two more questions: How are SICs legally logging time? Are they only being employed for duty periods exceeding 8 hours? Are they only being used on aircraft with inoperative autopilots?

Lastly, how is the QOL for FOs? A thread from a couple years back had some people claiming that the FOs are treated as being worthless.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:35 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: E170 Captain

Originally Posted by Lambent

Penalty for leaving prior to the end of your commitment is $30k

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-06-2018, 03:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

And a “do not rehire” for future PRIA requests on your record...

Old 10-06-2018, 04:15 PM
New Hire

Thanks for the quick reply. If I sign a letter of commitment then I have absolutely no intentions of breaking that commitment. I just want to know what I am getting myself into. I am also very aware that life can be messy sometimes and people can be forced to break promises. It pays to know what the consequences could be.

Two more questions: How are SICs legally logging time? Are they only being employed for duty periods exceeding 8 hours? Are they only being used on aircraft with inoperative autopilots?

Lastly, how is the QOL for FOs? A thread from a couple years back claimed the FOs were being treated as worthless.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:26 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

And a “do not rehire” for future PRIA requests on your record...

Have you actually seen them do that?
That's a 100% douche move from the company and I would sue the sh*t out of them if they did that.
A training contract is and should be a no harm no foul issue if you pay your way out of it.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by dera
Have you actually seen them do that?

That's a 100% douche move from the company and I would sue the sh*t out of them if they did that.

A training contract is and should be a no harm no foul issue if you pay your way out of it.

That’s if you walk without paying back

Old 10-07-2018, 02:33 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

That’s if you walk without paying back

If you don't pay it back, that's what collection agents are for.

By the way, the "not eligible for rehire" or whatever verbiage is used is not in PRIA. It will come up when verifying employment history. You can easily get around that - just don't allow the new employer to contact that employer, and confirm your employment history with first and last paychecks.

I doubt Cape, or anyone, will tick that box. That has zero benefit for them, but opens up a bunch of legal liability issues.