Search

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Cape Air

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:07 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Yes I am... Have re applied twice in the last two months. Maybe they have a policy of not interviewing anyone they have already interviewed and declined...

Or possibly I must just give Levi the recruiter a call...
Old 10-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by saracen
Yes I am... Have re applied twice in the last two months. Maybe they have a policy of not interviewing anyone they have already interviewed and declined...

Or possibly I must just give Levi the recruiter a call...
Probably because of the wash out rate as previously stated. But why would you come all the way over here with 4000 hours TT to fly a 402 for Cape? Why not 121 or a 135 jet job?
Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 AM
New Hire

Have flown part 121 ( F.O. in ol steamdriven HS748 freighters) in Central, East and West Africa. Have flown everything from unmentionables for governments to food and supplies for the UN. Contracting.

Now I'm at a crossroads. No airline here in SA wants me (too old @ 53). Not rated (turbopropwise) on anything sensible like the 1900/ ATR and they all want at least 100 hrs or more on type even if I DID get a rating. Have a jet rating (A320) but once again the hours on type are an issue.... I would jump at a jet / turboprop job over there!

Re the HS748..nobody uses them anymore. There is a crowd in Sudan (my old stomping ground)that do...but you need a full Kenyan licence now, and would have to come in as an FO....but they only employ locals as FO's... So these options are limited.

I DID own a part 135 company myself for about 17 years, was CP and safety officer, so I know the ropes well..all the admin..and dealing with the CAA, and having an FAA ATP (as well as a South African Comm licence) I thought that a stable company like C Air may see value in what I have done, have had, and experienced...

Just a little insight.....

ps..Tried Bering, Ravn, Grant, Quantum , Aero Air ..all in AL but no replies. I think the citizenship bit could be the issue..!

Last edited by saracen; 10-30-2016 at 01:56 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-30-2016, 01:58 AM
New Hire

Interesting you state the wash rate during training! Didn't know that had occurred!
Old 10-31-2016, 02:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Interesting you state the wash rate during training! Didn't know that had occurred!
Straight from DOCO's mouth.

Have flown part 121 ( F.O. in ol steamdriven HS748 freighters) in Central, East and West Africa. Have flown everything from unmentionables for governments to food and supplies for the UN. Contracting.

Now I'm at a crossroads. No airline here in SA wants me (too old @ 53). Not rated (turbopropwise) on anything sensible like the 1900/ ATR and they all want at least 100 hrs or more on type even if I DID get a rating. Have a jet rating (A320) but once again the hours on type are an issue.... I would jump at a jet / turboprop job over there!

Re the HS748..nobody uses them anymore. There is a crowd in Sudan (my old stomping ground)that do...but you need a full Kenyan licence now, and would have to come in as an FO....but they only employ locals as FO's... So these options are limited.

I DID own a part 135 company myself for about 17 years, was CP and safety officer, so I know the ropes well..all the admin..and dealing with the CAA, and having an FAA ATP (as well as a South African Comm licence) I thought that a stable company like C Air may see value in what I have done, have had, and experienced...

Just a little insight.....

ps..Tried Bering, Ravn, Grant, Quantum , Aero Air ..all in AL but no replies. I think the citizenship bit could be the issue..!
It seems to me with all your quals, you really are taking a step back. 9K isn't as stable as you think. The time when they have to downsize due to lack of pilots is getting closer and closer. They are severely short staffed. They just ended their sea plane operations, bases in the North East have closed due to lack of pilots, etc.

If I were you, I would look into places like Ameriflight, Boutique, Tradewinds, PlaneSense. I mean heck, even LCCs like Frontier, Spirit, or JetBlue might be a good option if you want to go back to the 121 side. The A320 type will look really good and training will be a breeze.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Hmm...Interesting , all these comments. I was interviewed in July ( I have 17 years part 135 ownership and experience, an ATP and close to 4000 hrs of which 1000 is multi) and although they said that they have room for a few expat pilots, and there is very little work available where I'm from (South Africa) and would really have loved a move, I wasnt hired after the skype interview.

Unless I gave a really cr@ppy interview, the only reason I can see NOT to have been accepted was the fact that there are by far MORE applicants to Cape Air than they need (in the USA), and my application and the subsequent paperwork would just have been a headache.

A real pity. I have a lot of experience to have given the company as I am also Safety Management (SMS) and Quality audit qualified. I am also client driven, as I owned my own part 135 for years......
You did not mention if you hold a green card to work in the US. If you do any regional carrier in the US will probably hire you. Several offer flows to major airlines. Look at Piedmont, PSA or envoy. At Piedmont you will make way more the Cape Air. If you don't hold a green card then I suspect that is why you were not called.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:27 AM
New Hire

Yip..the greencard (or LACK of) is most likely the issue.
To V1..I actually did my A320 rating at Jetblue in Fl.
Cape Air was willing to look at me..and bring me in..and get a work permit (they say they do this from time to time) for me..but as I said..I didnt crack the nod. Assumed that my pretty straight forward interview wasn't to their liking...OR they had enough US based applicants.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: 320 FO

Originally Posted by VIRotate
It seems to me with all your quals, you really are taking a step back. 9K isn't as stable as you think. The time when they have to downsize due to lack of pilots is getting closer and closer. They are severely short staffed. They just ended their sea plane operations, bases in the North East have closed due to lack of pilots, etc.
What North East bases have closed?
Old 11-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Cloud5urfer
What North East bases have closed?
Providence.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Lantis 838 k-loader/Freightliner FL70
Default new aircraft?

What does the rumor mill have to say about this?

Cape Air first to fly Tecnam P2012 Traveller | Tecnam