Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Red Wing Aero?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 04:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Originally Posted by mesteve
As is often stated, nothing on APF is as good or as bad as it is touted...

With that said, WU has complaints of their own, so yeah, I was truly asking.

As for where I want to go, right now I am leaning toward 121 but need another 500ish hours.

Cheers
I left RWAC as soon as I could and cannot in good faith suggest it to anyone who has other options. I hope things have improved in the intervening years but after seeing RWAC crews on the road from time to time and talking to my friends who are either still there or left more recently say that it is still not a good place to work. Best of luck.
Old 09-28-2022, 12:23 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by mesteve
Applying as an FO:

Redwing or WheelsUp? And why... Go!
Know folks at both. WUPJ without a doubt.
Old 10-30-2022, 01:47 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2021

Is it still the case that Red Wings is not the best place to work? Looking for a under 1500TT option
Old 10-30-2022, 05:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: A320 FO

Originally Posted by Caleb302
Is it still the case that Red Wings is not the best place to work? Looking for a under 1500TT option
Nothing owned by VistaJet is going to be very good. If they don't require a training contract then go for it if you need the time but don't expect any quality of life.
Old 10-30-2022, 07:44 PM
Not home.

Joined APC: May 2018
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by tallpilot
nothing owned by vistajet is going to be very good....don't expect any quality of life.
^^^^^^this 100%^^^^^^
Old 11-02-2022, 06:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2022

Originally Posted by Caleb302
A general rule of thumb for pilots—avoid all things Vista. They manage from an office across the pond and are disconnected from the pilot market in the US. They don’t accept feedback and are deaf to other points of view. XOJET currently has over half of their Challengers parted due to pay/QOL decreases as well as firing pilots who they (Vista) viewed as being paid too much.

It’s not a completely terrible idea to go to Red Wing for a type rating. However, I would caution against any long term plan with any company that Vista owns: XOJET, Red Wing, Jet Edge.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:34 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2023

Originally Posted by onemoreturn
How long have you been at RW and where were you flying before?

I would strongly encourage you to find out exactly why your CP at RW departed XOJET…… I would also encourage you to consider the following:

Vista had a poor reputation from the pilot/labor perspective when they purchased XOJET in 2018. The XOJET pilot group worked hard to be optimistic and I do think that Vista initially wanted to grow the XOJET brand--I realize this last statement is highly controversial. However, with Vista’s inability to listen to those in North America (MCC/FXE) and their lack of understanding of the US labor market (specifically pilots), it became more and more obvious that they wanted nothing to do with the company culture. From there it was a slow and painful disassembly of XOJET. The aircraft will slowly be moved over to RW/JE and management will continue to make the environment at XOJET one that people will want to leave.

To those considering RW: If you want to go there for a year or so and get a type then go for it. As with all job changes in aviation—know what you are getting into. If you are a “yes man” type of manager then RW will be great for you and you will thrive under Vista management. However, if you are a manager who will push back against poor decisions then RW probably isn’t the place for you. You will likely get fired or sidelined as other Vista compliant managers move up the chain. If you are a pilot you can expect to see the communication/transparency decrease and pay/QOL slowly fade. Vista has a clear track record. I do not expect them to change their ways or learn from their missteps at XOJET. Vista may be growing as a company but that growth doesn’t necessarily mean it will be good for you. Regardless, you don’t want to be a pilot stuck in the middle of their fear-based culture.
This is true. XO jet fired him and Vista Jet only transferred him and made him a CP at Red Wing! Red Wing can't keep anyone and now they are going after crews in court to collect from training contracts. Rumor is they also are being sued by a crew. A crew called fatigue and red wing suspended them without pay.
Old 02-22-2023, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2023

Originally Posted by RomeoWhiskey
This is true. XO jet fired him and Vista Jet only transferred him and made him a CP at Red Wing! Red Wing can't keep anyone and now they are going after crews in court to collect from training contracts. Rumor is they also are being sued by a crew. A crew called fatigue and red wing suspended them without pay.
He’s no longer the CP of Red Wing, they moved him to Jet Edge now. But yes still plenty of guys and girls leaving.
Old 02-22-2023, 11:47 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2023

Actually he is now director of operations and jet edge and red wing. Even worse lol.
Old 02-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2023

Originally Posted by RomeoWhiskey
Actually he is now director of operations and jet edge and red wing. Even worse lol.
Oh jeez that sucks for a lot of people lol