Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Fastest Way to a Radial

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:41 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left

Brooks still has a couple DC-6's and a DC-4 (but I think they crashed it last year) up in Fairbanks. TransNorthern has 4 DC-3's (they keep one on skis) and Desert air has a DC-3 and an old Convair 240, but I haven't seen it fly yet this summer. There's a couple of Beech 18's too up here still flying. Go for it!
Old 06-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Various

As stated in an earlier post... Four Star Air Cargo out of San Juan PR is looking for DC3 pilots.. I talked to one of their pilots while flying around the Caribbean. He wasn't too impressed with the company though.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by FlyOrDie
Come to Alaska. I never thought I'd be a Six FO until I ended up here in the frozen north.
I've been thinking about trying to get on with NAC, go to Alaska while I'm still young and have no strings holding me down. I look at their career section of their site though and never see pilot positions. What kinda of chance does someone from the lower 48 have getting on there? I've got about 4,500hrs, most of which has been flying Cargo in twin pistons and twin turbo props.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Originally Posted by HoboPilot
He'd just walk away whistling, like it was all in a day's work.
And don't forget the captain who was played by Robert Stack. I'm sure that experience in the DC-4 on the way to SFO helped him to talk down Striker in that 707 in "Airplane!"

Kilo Alpha Pappa, as for PBA still flying, maybe we'll see the day when Cape Air starts flying DC-3s on some of their higher volume routes around Cape Cod. They seem happy enough with their 402s though. Fun fact, some of those Cape Air 402s are ex-PBA 402s and still have the PB tail number.

So unfortunately it kinda seems like the easiest way to get into the seat of a radial engined classic now-a-days is to fly one that's on the air show circuit. Stinsonjr, I think I remember you talking about being involved with the Airline History Museum (formerly known as Save a Connie) folks, do you know if those old TWA guys are looking for more pilots or do they still have their bias towards ex TWA guys?

Sorry for the delay in responding, been out of town.

The AHM is no longer biased toward TWA guys - most of the initial guys were ex-TWA'ers and many were current and had types in the various models of Connie. Those guys, for the most part, are well into their late 70's now. It never hurts to become involved with the museum. The Connie hasn't flown for an extended period of time and they are trying to get her up. They are to the point where they are startingto train some crews. The DC-3 restoration is coming along nicely and should be a show-stopper. They also have a Martin 404 that hasn't flown in MANY years and is just a static display now. Best advice I can give is to look into the museum and become involved. The membership can be highly fractious and it is not like the Coke commercial where everyone holds hands and sings in harmony.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB120 Left

Originally Posted by RedGuy
I've been thinking about trying to get on with NAC, go to Alaska while I'm still young and have no strings holding me down. I look at their career section of their site though and never see pilot positions. What kinda of chance does someone from the lower 48 have getting on there? I've got about 4,500hrs, most of which has been flying Cargo in twin pistons and twin turbo props.
Last I heard NAC was going to cease DC6 ops in October. I fly for the other DC6 operator so I have no idea about getting a job there. If you want a job from an Alaska operator you need to be here. I've been told some chief pilots will throw resumes away from anyone outside.

Last edited by FlyOrDie; 06-15-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by FlyOrDie
Last I heard NAC was going to cease DC6 ops in October. I fly for the other DC6 operator so I have no idea about getting a job there. If you want a job from an Alaska operator you need to be here. I've been told some chief pilots will throw resumes away from anyone outside.

Ok then, alittle off topic but then how does someone with no "Alaska Time" get a job in Alaska if everybody requires you to have Alaska Time?

BTW Do you know what your company requires?
Old 06-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008

I've heard of a few people runing beaver float plane charters.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:16 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Emergency Exit

Radials are great. But guys, the grass is always greener. Trust me.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: CR7 Capt.

I love round-motored airplanes but would never again care to make my living flying one. There was a whole era of my life during which I owned not one shred of clothing without oil spots. Throughout highschool I wanted nothing more than a job flying mail in a Beech 18 (it ended up being the worst job I ever had).
Found myself watching a terrific ten-minute video recently about Everts DC-6s and was overcome with a wave of nostalgia...until I remembered a DC-4 crash when I was in Alaska (engine fire burned the wing off). I favor involvement with the restoration/museum people - in leu of therapy.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Ramen-eating duck driver

I saw the title of the thread and was going to suggest a 90 degree intercept, until I read the content - MUCH more interesting