Search

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

I hope you guys don't mind me asking the following questions, but I'm wanting to get a better feel for the AMF culture. Is there any pressure from managment to fly during winter storms? We had some fairly severe winter weather roll in earlier in the week in NorCal. Did anyone at AMF in NorCal have to cancel flights because of wx? How severe does the weather have to get before you guys start cancelling trips? Does AMF have specific requirements in their Op Specs in terms of limiting wx criteria, ie. cross wind limits, peak wind gusts over a certain value? Max wind speeds aloft? Turbulence?

ps. If you feel that this info is too specific for the open forum, then please PM me with info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by undflyboy06
It wasn't until I started flying for Ameriflight out of PDX when I actually shot an ILS down to absolute bare minimums; 1800 RVR, VV 100 and at night. That was fun. My legs were pretty weak after that landing.

Once you're able to do it once your confidence skyrockets. You should never relax, but you aren't as worried and able to concentrate on the approach more.
VV100 = 10000 ft. Sounds all good to me
Old 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by NZAV8R
I hope you guys don't mind me asking the following questions, but I'm wanting to get a better feel for the AMF culture. Is there any pressure from managment to fly during winter storms? We had some fairly severe winter weather roll in earlier in the week in NorCal. Did anyone at AMF in NorCal have to cancel flights because of wx? How severe does the weather have to get before you guys start cancelling trips? Does AMF have specific requirements in their Op Specs in terms of limiting wx criteria, ie. cross wind limits, peak wind gusts over a certain value? Max wind speeds aloft? Turbulence?

ps. If you feel that this info is too specific for the open forum, then please PM me with info. Thanks.

Management gives us the tools and the wording in our ops specs/ops manual to make the final decision on whether or not a flight goes or doesn't. We've had flights down in SoCal canceled for sure for the latest series of storms coming through the region. Plus, Part 91.3, final PIC authority rests with us pilots.
Whenever I personally have concerns with a flight I have listed all of the reasons why I am uncomfortable and concerned with safely completing a flight or flight segment. I offer alternatives and dispatch and I work to come to a resolution.
We have weather limits not only from the aircraft AFM, but also wind limits on taxiing, takeoffs and landings.
Our flight department has done a good job of backing up our decisions when it comes to a go/no-go decision.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Fixed wing, left

AT the same time, its important to CYA. They give you the tools and will respect a reasonable decision, but if you screw up, don't expect them to pat you on the back and say "its okay, don't do it again".
Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Fixed wing, left

Originally Posted by Stratapilot
Question:

I (finally) meet the mins to apply, however, I am wondering about the training at Ameriflight. I understand they have a great simulator at Burbank, however, once you finish training and get to your base is it " Welcome to Portland! here's the manifest, now off you go", or is there something equating to IOE before they cut you loose on your own?
Yes.. and no. Some runs in some bases you will be "crossed trained" on. But others, you get the manifest, ask your ACP where to park and take it from there. When you pass your check ride you should be able to navigate on your own. If you can't get safely to that airport and shoot an ILS down to mins, a little more training should have been in order. Know the regs, know the aircraft limitations and you should be good to go. Single pilot 135 freight is an EXCELLENT pilot skill building experience.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by freightdog
Management gives us the tools and the wording in our ops specs/ops manual to make the final decision on whether or not a flight goes or doesn't. We've had flights down in SoCal canceled for sure for the latest series of storms coming through the region. Plus, Part 91.3, final PIC authority rests with us pilots.
Whenever I personally have concerns with a flight I have listed all of the reasons why I am uncomfortable and concerned with safely completing a flight or flight segment. I offer alternatives and dispatch and I work to come to a resolution.
We have weather limits not only from the aircraft AFM, but also wind limits on taxiing, takeoffs and landings.
Our flight department has done a good job of backing up our decisions when it comes to a go/no-go decision.
Thanks for that insight.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:36 PM
In the dumpster fire

Joined APC: Jan 2010

HIRED TODAY! anyone else gonna be in the February 8th class?
Old 01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by SIUav8er
HIRED TODAY! anyone else gonna be in the February 8th class?
Congrats man! =)
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by NZAV8R

Re company culture, they've been in the 135 cargo business 40+ years, consistently make a profit, have 170 airplanes, are VERY visible to the FAA due to their size and wide area of ops, and have a pretty conservative culture. This isn't the company where you're going to hear "If you won't get in that [broken] airplane and fly it, we'll find someone who will" or "We don't care what you think the weather's like, get going." If the trip cannot be completed legally and safely, they don't want you to go. If you CAN complete the trip legally and safely, they expect you use your head, use your training, use your experience, and do it.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007

Originally Posted by Oldog
Re company culture, they've been in the 135 cargo business 40+ years, consistently make a profit, have 170 airplanes, are VERY visible to the FAA due to their size and wide area of ops, and have a pretty conservative culture. This isn't the company where you're going to hear "If you won't get in that [broken] airplane and fly it, we'll find someone who will" or "We don't care what you think the weather's like, get going." If the trip cannot be completed legally and safely, they don't want you to go. If you CAN complete the trip legally and safely, they expect you use your head, use your training, use your experience, and do it.

That sounds like the kind of company I want to work for. Online application sent. That is the best way right?
Old 01-23-2010, 07:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: PA31 Cptn

SIUav8er, where did you interview and with whom. i have an interview next month and am looking for some good insight if you can help. thanks!