Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 06:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by 1alpha2
I have a little over 400TT now, would it make sense to apply at 500 for an FO position (if there are openings around that time) or to wait it out and apply for the ACP. I'm currently doing aerial survey but have only been getting around 50 hours per month due to weather delays. However I don't have anywhere close to 500 xc for part 135 IFR captain minimums. Would you qualify at 800TT without this or would you need 800TT and 500XC? Thanks
You would need a minimum of 300 XC at 800 TT. The reason is the plan would be to make you a restricted IFR captain at 1000TT. And while our exemption allows the total time to be reduced, the remaining 135 captain requirements (XC, Inst, Night) still need to be met to be a captain. So anything you are short at 800 would have to be acquired in the next 200 hours. Almost all of your flights would be point to point XC but you may not be able to get the required night or Inst in that time. So we look for those numbers when you are initially hired.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:30 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2019

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr
You would need a minimum of 300 XC at 800 TT. The reason is the plan would be to make you a restricted IFR captain at 1000TT. And while our exemption allows the total time to be reduced, the remaining 135 captain requirements (XC, Inst, Night) still need to be met to be a captain. So anything you are short at 800 would have to be acquired in the next 200 hours. Almost all of your flights would be point to point XC but you may not be able to get the required night or Inst in that time. So we look for those numbers when you are initially hired.
Got it, currently I only have 180 xc, 40 night and about 65 instrument. (For the most part only getting day VFR at my current job) so I guess it would make sense to just come in as an FO if an opening comes up?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2019

I have captain flight times but have been out of aviation for ten years. I am current with BFR and IPC and have been flying a lot of simulator approaches so I am pretty proficient. What would my best plan of action be for getting hired at Ameriflight?
Old 11-14-2019, 09:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by 1alpha2
Got it, currently I only have 180 xc, 40 night and about 65 instrument. (For the most part only getting day VFR at my current job) so I guess it would make sense to just come in as an FO if an opening comes up?
Are you counting all airport to airport XC or just the "over 50 miles?" Over 50 miles applies to certificates. For 135 qualification it is any time you take off from one airport and land at another. So if you fly from one airport, land at another one 10 miles away and then return, that would all count as XC for 135 qualification.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Talking

Originally Posted by Seneca Pilot
I have captain flight times but have been out of aviation for ten years. I am current with BFR and IPC and have been flying a lot of simulator approaches so I am pretty proficient. What would my best plan of action be for getting hired at Ameriflight?
Apply.

I was in the same position when I came on. I had 3200 hours from my military flying but hadn't flown regularly for 9 years and literally hadn't touched the yoke of a plane in 5 years when I got the call for an interview.

Do what you can to refresh your currency (basic flying AND instrument procedures.) You will be expected to be instrument proficient when you show up.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:02 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2019

Originally Posted by frmrbuffdrvr
Are you counting all airport to airport XC or just the "over 50 miles?" Over 50 miles applies to certificates. For 135 qualification it is any time you take off from one airport and land at another. So if you fly from one airport, land at another one 10 miles away and then return, that would all count as XC for 135 qualification.
Yeah, that's my total point to point. I was an Air Tour Pilot as my first job, so I never landed at other airports. Now I'm doing Aerial Survey, so I again usually land at the same airport I take off from other then when I'm ferrying between projects (which is not much)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by Seneca Pilot
I was in a similar situation....had an ATP, type, prior cargo and corporate experience....
I decided after about 7 years off to get back into flying...
Did a BFR, and quite a bit of time in a Sim setup to mimic a be-99 with the sensitivity set to high....spoke with a recruiter about my experience...got a class date.
Did several hours at a time, several hours a day to get my scan going, along with lots if studying....let's face it, it's one thing to do one or two approaches, another thing to 3-5+ hrs in a day in some cases...
Got hired as a metro Captain, haven't looked back.
Could I have spent a few more $$ to be more comfortable.....yup...but I guess I did enough.
Guess the more time/experience you have, the easier it is to return to the seat. Having had prior cargo experience, and with some in the same type of plane made it easier....
The class I was in had a wide range of individuals, both in age and background, from GA pilots to retired airline guys, and in all honesty, some of the less experienced people had an easier time because they had good study habits.
Old 11-18-2019, 03:01 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2019

I have 5k hours meet 135 minimums, 3k turboprop. All turbine ag hours. My question I live by stl. Do not want and could not afford to be full time. Would like to be a part time 1-2 day fill in or maybe fulltime during peak. Is there such a thing. End goal not to fly heavy. Just stay current and be of help. Cargo much more my thing than people hauling. I just want my closest base. Is this realistic?
Old 11-18-2019, 05:48 AM
Ameriflight

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by Killamplanes
I have 5k hours meet 135 minimums, 3k turboprop. All turbine ag hours. My question I live by stl. Do not want and could not afford to be full time. Would like to be a part time 1-2 day fill in or maybe fulltime during peak. Is there such a thing. End goal not to fly heavy. Just stay current and be of help. Cargo much more my thing than people hauling. I just want my closest base. Is this realistic?
The closest base would probably be SDF. That's not really close enough to do the 1-2 day fill ins. But a full time peak schedule would work if you're willing to be away from home for most of it. There are several Ameriflight pilots that do that and are Alaskan pilots or wildfire pilots the other time of year.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-19-2019, 07:14 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2019
Position: Aerial Survey Pilot TU206G

I am very close to the ACP minimums mentioned here minus the multi time. Can any of the multi requirements be in a sim or does it all need to be in an aircraft? It's tough around here to find a multi to do the rating in much less build time.

Also, any idea if there will be any ACP hires around spring 2020? Should I send a resume before I hit all the minimums or just wait?

Thanks for any replies.