Search

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 07:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

The type of flying in the sim will be different from anything you've experienced in general aviation.

Understand the concepts for engine out flying. Understand approaches and procedures to the best of your ability. Spend your time wisely learning the flows. This airplane is fast, and the more time you spend actually flying it instead of configuring it, the better off you will be.

They don't care how you land the plane in the sim. Just get it in the touch down zone and on center line.

You will be flying with the autopilot and flight director for a majority of your training and checkride. This type of flying is less about finesse and more about procedure.

Last edited by sobo; 08-08-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Contract

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Position: SR22

Originally Posted by sobo
The type of flying in the sim will be different from anything you've experienced in general aviation.

Understand the concepts for engine out flying. Understand approaches and procedures to the best of your ability. Spend your time wisely learning the flows. This airplane is fast, and the more time you spend actually flying it instead of configuring it, the better off you will be.

They don't care how you land the plane in the sim. Just get it in the touch down zone and on center line.

You will be flying with the autopilot and flight director for a majority of your training and checkride. This type of flying is less about finesse and more about procedure.

Excellent feedback. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by sobo

Thanks a lot for your help man! I want to be as prepared as possible because honestly im not really using Ameriflight as a "1500 and leave job." I kinda wanted to do Cargo from the start. Also, I called Corporate and they seemed annoyed that I called haha. They said they would call me when they are ready and wont send training material until the call. I guess the August class got a 8 day notice. I guess ill tell my job that I might be leaving in a hurry.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 AM
Contract

Originally Posted by dribz
Thanks a lot for your help man! I want to be as prepared as possible because honestly im not really using Ameriflight as a "1500 and leave job." I kinda wanted to do Cargo from the start. Also, I called Corporate and they seemed annoyed that I called haha. They said they would call me when they are ready and wont send training material until the call. I guess the August class got a 8 day notice. I guess ill tell my job that I might be leaving in a hurry.

That's no Bueno man! Kind of forces you to burn a bridge with your current employer.

They were annoyed that you called to try and better prepare yourself for class?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:01 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by dribz
Do not burn a bridge for AMF. 8 days notice to give you training materials and expect you to be successful is completely absurd. That is a surefire setup for failure, and they won't hesitate to give you the boot and put you on the street. Sounds like they have reverted to some of heir old ways which is sad. Training was sounding like it was heading in the right direction for a while. It's one thing to cal somebody and ask if they can short show, it's a whole other to just tell everyone 8 days before class to show up in DFW. AMF wouldn't hesitate to make you ineligible for hehire and try to screw you out of your next job for leaving with 8 days notice...
Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: single pilot cargo, turboprop

Originally Posted by Jetlife
Do not burn a bridge for AMF. 8 days notice to give you training materials and expect you to be successful is completely absurd. That is a surefire setup for failure, and they won't hesitate to give you the boot and put you on the street. Sounds like they have reverted to some of heir old ways which is sad. Training was sounding like it was heading in the right direction for a while. It's one thing to cal somebody and ask if they can short show, it's a whole other to just tell everyone 8 days before class to show up in DFW. AMF wouldn't hesitate to make you ineligible for hehire and try to screw you out of your next job for leaving with 8 days notice...
Doesn't pass the smell test. If you can't make the class in 8 days due to your current employment situation, request the next available class. There are plenty of openings, particularly for captains.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:40 PM
Contract

My phone interview went well today. Should know something next week. They talked about a Sept. 12 class so we'll see what happens.

Old 08-13-2016, 07:50 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2016

AMF has seen departures of a chief pilot, director of safety, the firing of a CFO, an innumerable other changes to base and mid level management. Not a stable company at the moment. This is a good place to get some turbine, but not one to make a career. If QoL had been better id have stayed. At outstation bases a you WILL fly 6 days a week. You WILL load your airplane with zero compensation for doing UPS' job. I was told by the recruiter "we don't fly weekends and we don't touch boxes." Your requests for time off will not be granted. On the plus side it's some of the most enjoyable flying you can get paid for. You'll sharpen your IFR skills very quickly, and AMF time is universally respected. If corporate got their **** together this would be a GREAT place to work. Don't expect much from corporate and you won't be disappointed.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by Dak in back
AMF has seen departures of a chief pilot, director of safety, the firing of a CFO, an innumerable other changes to base and mid level management. Not a stable company at the moment. This is a good place to get some turbine, but not one to make a career. If QoL had been better id have stayed. At outstation bases a you WILL fly 6 days a week. You WILL load your airplane with zero compensation for doing UPS' job. I was told by the recruiter "we don't fly weekends and we don't touch boxes." Your requests for time off will not be granted. On the plus side it's some of the most enjoyable flying you can get paid for. You'll sharpen your IFR skills very quickly, and AMF time is universally respected. If corporate got their **** together this would be a GREAT place to work. Don't expect much from corporate and you won't be disappointed.
Apparently, not at Atlas.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by LAXative
Apparently, not at Atlas.
Why do you say that?

Was this something said to prospective pilots that were applying to Atlas?