Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Wheels Up Hiring

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 03:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by RockyPilot14
If any company goes into bankruptcy then that doesn’t bode well for anyone. Any aviation company is always teetering on the edge, some more than others, tough business. WUP had a rough stretch as they expanded pretty quickly and purchased a few companies. They are making corrections and figuring it out. It’s not the doom and gloom everyone thinks. To answer the contract question, yes there is for one year but you can buy yourself out at a prorated price. It’s not that bad. Also, most people do not have a contract with Wheels Up, but with one of the companies that they had purchased. And the contract is with that company, not with Wheels Up. Until just a couple years ago, Wheels Up didn’t actually own any aircraft.
WheelsUp owned the King Airs, the XL/XLS's, and eventually 8 of the X's. What they didn't have was an operating certificate or pilots.
Old 02-29-2024, 03:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by NatGeo
Most of Wheels Up's planes are junk. Worn out King Air 350's and Beechjet 400A's

The reason they are not profitable is because their planes go down for maintenance every other leg.

If you enjoy sitting around at airports for days, waiting on your plane to be fixed than it is a great place to work.

If you like racking up hours in your logbook, than work for a company that doesn't have to contract out every single maintenance job.

Are there Mx challenges? Absolutely. But all of the original KingAirs were 0 actual airframe time when they were added to the certificate. They break be cause they are worked hard and put away wet.
The Xs and beechjets, I grant you, are long in the tooth.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: NB CA

Wheels Up still hiring? What's it like over there? Have someone on the cusp of joining the operation.
Old 04-19-2024, 10:32 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2009

I heard something about a slowdown or freeze. I'm assuming this is the old Mountain Aviation setup:

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/04/1...rport-layoffs/

The King Airs may still be busy, I have no first hand knowledge of the operation anymore.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jergar999
I heard something about a slowdown or freeze. I'm assuming this is the old Mountain Aviation setup:

The King Airs may still be busy, I have no first hand knowledge of the operation anymore.
the Mx base and FBO is closing, along with other Mx stations around the country. Flight operations are going strong and as busy as ever. This is just part of whittling down to 1 certificate.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:55 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2009

I figured it didn't include pilots. As a former Wheels Up guy I'm pulling for everyone involved but I have to admit I'm not optimistic about the numbers.

Good luck to everyone there, the training and operations people I flew and dealt with were wonderful.
Old 04-25-2024, 08:30 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2024

Originally Posted by jergar999

We're done hiring for the foreseeable future- at least until the majors start to hire our captains again. All those with class dates starting in April are deferred indefinitely due to low attrition. Flying is still strong but slightly slower on the King Air side this month due to certificate reorganization. Projected to be a busy summer/fall.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:04 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2018

I look at the posted pilot positions regularly.

Today I see that they don't even have the pipeline postions advertised (ATP and Delta Propel).
Old 06-25-2024, 08:32 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2024

As an update to this, about 20% of our pilots, including myself were let go today. They are calling it a layoff and not a furlough so as of now no one has any guarantee of a call back later or a timeframe on rehire. Good luck to everyone out there applying.
Old 06-25-2024, 09:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left

Originally Posted by m007j
As an update to this, about 20% of our pilots, including myself were let go today. They are calling it a layoff and not a furlough so as of now no one has any guarantee of a call back later or a timeframe on rehire. Good luck to everyone out there applying.
Sorry to hear that! Is it fleet-specific? Obviously previous management was heck-bent on acquiring lift and using mulitple fleet types.