View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Lori Clark
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Aviation Consultant

PRIA (Pilot Records Improvement Act) was created specifically for the industry/airlines. It applies to all U.S. commercial air carriers or U.S. air operators that transport passengers. You can obtain a copy of what is sent to an airline when you sign the release form for that airline to request the records. It specifically addresses two types of records: 1. Training records from previous employers and 2. FAA records. To my knowledge 8710s are not included in the employer request. But you can request them for your own personal use. Likewise, the employer does not receive your entire medical record, only a summary page. This may have changed in the past few years, but I honestly doubt it.

On the FAA website there is a Word document which covers what information is provided through which type of request (PRIA, FOIA, PA) You can find it here: PRIA Guidance

Yes, there are other ways to determine if someone has been involved in an accident or incident which has been filed. An NTSB query Aviation Accident Database Query or the FAA ASIAS Home And please don't forget a little thing called Google - you'd be amazed at what someone can find, albeit it can be a tedious task to wade through all the non-pertinent stuff.

How you answer an application question is really very straightforward - answer it exactly as asked. If the question states "ever" then you need to disclose "any." If it states in the past five or ten years, then answer it accordingly. Folks, the reason for asking these types of questions, or any "dirty laundry" type questions is really very simple - it's about accountability. There are plenty of people who have gone on with successful flying careers even though they have an accident or incident in their past.

Just to address what Whacker said: "I should also add this point which I discussed in the aviation law section. As far as the AIDS report goes, a pilot can be involved in an accident or incident but it goes off that pilot's record after five years. There is a new policy of automatic expungment if no other events have occured during the five year period."
This is mostly true. To clarify, it's important to note if no other events have occurred - if another event occurs then not only does the original offense stand but the second offense compounds the first and can therefore give the FAA the right to take action based on both. Also, after the requisite period of time, although the record is "cleared" from view it is ALWAYS viewable to anyone inside the FAA. Just an FYI.

Hope this helps!
Lori