Old 04-19-2024, 07:52 PM
SonicFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by wrxpilot
I feel bad for the FO, he definitely looks uncomfortable with the situation. It can really suck when you're doing the chameleon thing, and paired with a CA doing stupid crap. Combine that with some celebrity pax, and it's a really tough spot to be in. Hopefully he just gets a wrist slap and moves on. No doubt he's having some sleepless nights right now.
Even the most basic CRM on his part would have prevented this...

"Hey Captain, I don't think this is allowed per the manual"

"Hey Captain, are we allowed to do this? Can you verify in the regs first?"

"Hey Captain, this isn't a good idea"

"Hey Captain, I'm not comfortable with this"

"Hey Mr. Passenger, I'm sorry, but we really can't let you up here. I know the Captain invited you but he/she is just trying to be nice, unfortunately it's against the regs"

And if the Captain continues at that point tell them "Captain, we can't do this, it's a violation and I'm not risking my certificate. Please stop or I'll have to report it, I don't want to do that, but please don't put me in that position"

And/or, file a report immediately upon landing.

Yeah it's uncomfortable but any of the above would have likely prevented this from happening. And any Captain with at least HALF a brain would have quit their actions as soon as their FO started squawking words like in the above sentences.

Again, this is basic CRM 101.