View Single Post
Old 04-06-2022, 12:53 PM
DMaloy85
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2021

Recently, I have completed Boeing 747 training and would like to take a few minutes to provide some details and insight that I would have shared with myself given the opportunity.

The goal in providing this information is to aid in the success of new hire pilots.

Boeing 747 Initial Advanced Qualification Program (AQP) syllabus is structured into 5 key areas commonly referred to as “gates.”

-Systems Knowledge Validation (SKV)
-Procedures Validation (PV)
-Maneuvers Validation (MV)
-Operational Knowledge Evaluation (OKE)
-Line oriented Evaluation (LOE)

SKV is the first gate that must be completed which is an oral examination comprising of systems knowledge in the following areas typical of a type rating program.

-Aircraft General
-Air systems
-Anti icing/Rain protection
-Communications systems
-Electrical Systems
-Engines/APU
-Fire Protection
-Flight Controls
-Flight Instruments
-Fuel
-Hydraulics
-Landing Gear
-Warning Systems
-Limitations

This oral evaluation is completed after receiving an online course “CPAT” which provides slides going over each system, 3 days of in classroom systems review, and sessions of systems integration which goes over the switches inside the simulator or FTD. MV is completed on the tail end of the 3rd week.

Procedures Validation (PV) is the 4th week of training which consists of several fixed base training devices (FTD) or full motion simulators off motion and visuals. The procedurals validation of training is comprised of flight deck preflight, paperwork preparation, engine starts, taxi, takeoff, approach, landing, taxi, and shutdown. Flows, call outs ,and profiles for both seats are required to be demonstrated in addition to preflight procedures from both seats. PV is evaluated from the left seat.

Maneuvers Validation (MV) is covered in the 5th week of training which is where you will be operating the aircraft with motion and visuals on inside the simulator. The aim of this area of the training is to perform the functions of normal and mostly non normal procedures such as Rejects (RTO), V1 cuts, 1 engine out ILS, non ILS procedures using vertical speed and VNAV, 3 engine go around, 2 engine out visual landings to name a few. I think it was 4 sims before your PV. Please correct me if that is not correct. PV will be flown from the right seat as a new hire.

Week 6 is the last week of training where you will have 3 line oriented flight trainers (LOFT) such as a North Atlantic crossing and which aims to integrate your previous training of normal procedures which were learned in PV with some application of minor non normal procedures in a typical flight environment. Once complete with the LOFT’s you will be given a type ride which consists of an oral examination of operational knowledge (OKE) followed by your line operating evaluation (LOE). This flight consists of a normal line flight with a minor malfunction aimed at evaluating your ability to act as a crew and execute proper QRH procedures and aeronautical decision making. New hires typically will be flying this event from the right seat.

Now that the whole program has been covered here are some helpful tips that I and some others have worked together to help consolidate your study time during training.

Week 1: Study SKV questions and answers either thru the guide or thru flashcards available online such as Quiet. Just keep clicking the CBTs (Get them done by week's end!!)
GOAL: CBTs done. Become comfortable with SKV questions and begin to look at AOM Vol 1 under Normal Procedures specifically for Captain's cockpit preflight.

Week 2: At the end of the first week, or early into the 2nd week an instructor will check you out to use the FTD unaccompanied. The FTD is an excellent training aid which I was essential to my ability to succeed in training. Having access to utilize the FTD and practice at my own pace gave me the opportunity to get ahead in training. Schedule as much as you can handle. When I went through I had signed up for at least five 4 hour FTD sessions during the 2nd week. Practice the Captain's cockpit preflight and CDU set up. Even observing will do you good if you can't get time for yourself. Following along as another group is practicing helps fill in the gaps as well.
GOAL: Have BOTH seats memorized from the gate, take-off, approach, landing and parking. Also remain current on SKV by the end of the 2nd week.

WEEK3 (SIT and SKV): study the AOM 2 study guide as well as watch Doc Donaldson (sweater guy!) on youtube to just get one last review of systems

link here: https://youtu.be/7gx0PVJ1nWg

You will be doing SITs in the FTD or Sims so be sure to at least be in the seat one of those days because you will also practice flows.

GOAL: Try and get in to FTD (preferably after SKV) one more time before sim prep to stay fresh on both seats. Make sure you know Normal take-off, CAT1/3 approach profiles and callouts.

WEEK4 (FTD): You should continue to study any weak points in profiles. Begin to dig into the QRH for proper phraseology and the non-normal maneuvers and the approach section in QRH. ALL FTD training session profiles are available on CPAT. So look thru the script the previous evening and really dig in to anything you haven't seen or feel weak about.
GOAL: Pass PV

As a last thought, if time becomes available I would recommend watching the Doc Donaldson 747 FMA’s video on YouTube to fully understand the use of THRUST, THRUST REF, VNAV SPD, VNAV ALT, and VNAV PATH. As someone who had not operated an auto throttle or VNAV aircraft previously, I found this video incredibly helpful. Found myself watching it several times gaining a little more insight every time I viewed the video until I fully understood it.

The program is challenging, but also very rewarding at the same time. The instructors and training staff who I interacted with during training were great and it was a pleasant surprise that the support staff knew my classmates and I by name. Very thankful for the opportunity to work at Kalitta.

Good luck to everyone in training and hope to see you out on the line.

-Don