Search
Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

One year as a Nuggett, what I learned

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Since there are no stupid questions....when did the pay raise show up, the 15th of the current month or the 1st of the following month?

6 weeks of 1st year pay left, but who's counting...!!
Old 08-07-2007, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD11 F/O
Default 15th

Originally Posted by gcsass View Post
Since there are no stupid questions....when did the pay raise show up, the 15th of the current month or the 1st of the following month?

6 weeks of 1st year pay left, but who's counting...!!
If hired sep last year, your sep 15th paycheck will contain the first half of your sep blg. The last day of the month will contain the other half.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

sep hire means sep 15th at next years hourly
Old 08-07-2007, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

If i pack an umbrella and poncho, it doesn't rain.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 777 FO

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
However--be warned--a lifetime of bad jokes, skirt chasing, and a sexist double standard have in certain cases led to having a house full of girls. Who says God doesn't have a wry sense of humor...

Amen! I've got girl #2 (of 2) scheduled for delivery on 29 August. Great Capt story from JetJoc14. I've been on the bus a short time and everyone of the captains I flew with answered the questions I asked and did it graciously. The key was to ask the question. I think most guys want to stay out of your chili bowl unless invited to share in it.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain
Talking

Originally Posted by Deuce130 View Post
I've been on the bus a short time and everyone of the captains I flew with answered the questions I asked and did it graciously. The key was to ask the question.
I'm a bit surprised at your posting Duece. Are f/o really hesitant to ask questions? I don't remember being that way?

And to all you f/o's out there ... I've been at FedEx 12 years, I've been an MD-11 pilot for 11 of them. If you have ANY questions, PLEASE ASK and I'll do my best to give you an answer or I'll do the leg work and get you the correct answer.

In short, please don't be afraid to ask questions. It's better if we both know you are confused. And by the way ... I'm generally VERY impressed with the f/o's I fly with. REALLY good job guys!

Regards,

Mark
Old 08-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: FDX A300 CPT

all bus FOs..please be afraid to ask me any questions only because i have no answers...but i have jokes....one for the kids...

why can't a bicycle stand up by itself?

because it is too tired!...
Old 08-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

What is the English lesson about? I think I gave one in Memphis
Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I learned one the other night.

Don't leave your scuby snack box and a cold bottle of water on the desk with your paperwork while you go and check in with jumpseats.

Your paperwork may still be there when you get back.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Recommendations, in no particular order, by seat.

For you electric jet F/O's: brief your approaches from the FMS, not the charts; know the sequence of steps, relative to altitude acknowledgment/verification, and use them, while still giving the other guy time to do his job; if you're the PF, let the other guy make the 1000' (above or below) call. It doesn't show good manners to beat him to it; remember you might be the pilot flying, but it's the Captain's jet, if you think you need EAI, ask for it. Worst case, he'll disagree, won't turn it on, but might share with you his reasoning; Think waaaay ahead of the jet, and take the extra effort to build both a primary as well as a secondary approach, using ATIS, Forecast wx, etc, to help you get an idea of the landing runway. You might even ask the other guy, who might have been into that airport many times in the last few months; assuming the Captain buys you one or more beers, you might at least offer to buy him one, at sometime during the trip. Regardless of whether he actually lets you do it, or not, it is the right thing to do. There really is no dead time on a flight, and the really good pilots are the ones that hide this fact well, while watching a DVD or reading a book... plan, plan, plan. Always remember it's a joint effort and that nobody knows all the answers; Always bring your sense of humor on trips, life is too short to be serious all the time.

For you Captains: everyone on your flight knows whose in charge, you don't have to explain it to them; use the golden rule; hold and maintain yourself, both physically and professionally, to the highest standard that you can... others will notice and emulate. If you're 50 pounds overweight, at least get over to Hong Kong and have Linda Chang make you some clothes that hide as much of that fact as possible, then get on a diet, because believe me, you're at risk; let your First Officers make mistakes, but don't let them off the trip without debriefing what they did and how you might have done it differently; Always debrief your screw-ups, again everyone learns from the same mistake; Everyone wins when both Captains and F/O's get better; Always offer to buy the first round; On a multi-day flight series, do it each day, as it's the right thing to do; At the end of the trip, shake hands and say "thank you" to your crew and, for the help and support they provided you these past few days; Never forget that the reason you're in the left seat and they're in the right, is not that you're better then they are, it's that you (usually) got there first!

As for myself, I've just experienced a life altering situation and have decided to take 6 months off to sort things out. To all my friends at FedEX, I wish you success in your careers, good health to both you and yours, and tailwinds and VMC always.

Fondest regards,

JJ